Now that the holidays are right around the corner, I though I would share a list of grilling tools I think that grillers and smokers should have in their backyard. This list is by no way complete, but a sampling of some of the best tools to get grilling.
- Wagner Heat Gun HT1000 or HT3500 (This is my preferred method as discussed in Lighting the Big Green Egg)
Maintaining Grill Temperature
- BBQ Guru’s PartyQ, DigiQ DX2 or CyberQ
- Flame Boss 100 (no power, no problem. Get the rechargeable battery pack)
- Rock’s Bar-B-Que Stoker II product line
I always carry at least two thermometers. One with wireless control to monitor the temperature throughout the entire cook,
- The iDevices iGrill2 (This one is on my wish list. Up to 4 probes and Bluetooth enabled for your Apple and Android phones)
- Maverick ET-732 (1 grill probe and 1 meat probe)
- ThermoWorks Thermapen (3 second reading!)
Handling Hot Food
- Grill Heat Aid Gloves – Unlike other silicon grill gloves that stop at 425°, these will protect you up to 932°!
Whether you need to wrap food to cook (Texas Crutch), maintain temp after cooking, or for serving, there are a few options. Some grillers go for restaurant style plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Instead of boiling the meat in the juices, pick up some peach-treated butcher paper and use a double wrap method. Yes, it will be messy when you take it off the grill, but those sweet juices trapped in the paper is perfect for making BBQ sauce. Using the porous paper allows the meat to maintain the bark, because you won’t be boiling the protein in its own juices. Granted, its not the same as going without a wrap, but certainly better then the alternatives.
- Webstaurant has a great price on a 24″ x 700′ Peach-Treated Butcher Paper.